I could be wrong about this, but from the report I heard on NPR yesterday
morning, if this is upheld colleges cannot set academic elegibility
requirements for incoming athletes at all--based on grades, scores, or
anything. According to this commentary, coaches argued that minority
athletes were being unfairly denied scholarships.  The commentator cited
data to indicate that in fact since 1986 when this rule was set in place the
number of minority students receiving scholarships had not declined--his
interpretation:  students who were perhaps not quite as gifted
atheletically, but more academically prepared received the scholarships.

Kris Lewis
Saint Michael's College