The major differences in a nutshell are well described at
http://www1.rider.edu/~suler/gradschl.html
The differences have become blurred, and this is an oversimplification, but...
Otherwise, Clinicians conduct thorough psychological assessments, unlike
the lattter two. Social workers tend toward more community-type
involvement, including treatment planning and liaison work. The Psy-D vs.
PhD distinction has also become blurred. The Psy D was originally designed
to be more of a practitioner-type degree as opposed to the traditional
scientist-practitioner model of the PhD. Not sure how much that holds. I'd
advise students looking at the PsyD programs to choose carefully. Many (not
saying all before someone flames me) of the "institute" types of Psy D
programs are more profit-seeking ventures than truly interested in higher
learning (one student I know was rejected from their program, but for a
substantial fee could essentially "buy" her way into the program).
This is WAY oversimplified. I direct them to the above site for info where
feasible.
David W.

At 01:39 PM 3/22/99 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Tipsters,
>
>I am in need of assistance.  A number of students looking toward Grad school
>have been asking me about the difference between a Clinical, Ph.D.,
Counseling
>Ph.D., Psy.D. and LCSW.  Their goals are to "help people."
>
>Quite honestly, though I was once sure of the distinctions as they pertain to
>training and licensure, I am currently at a loss.  Particularly with respect
>to Clinical, Counseling and Psy.D.
>
>1)  What is the difference in the training?
>
>2)  What are the effects on practicing?
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>RJ

David Wasieleski, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
912/333-5930
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dtwasieleski

"There's a lotta people saying we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan but I am to them
So I try to forget it any way that I can..."
         --Neil Young
           "Rockin' in the Free World"