Kathleen wrote:

>       How can I best explain to them the difference here?  I tried using
> the metaphor of going to the gym to lose weight;  sometimes you put a lot
> of effort in, for no apparent net gain.  High effort does not equal or
> necessitate high grades.
>       But still, I have some disgruntled customers who are complaining
> bitterly (by the way, they may rewrite assignments for a higher
> grade, with
> no penalty).
>       How can I address this issue with my class?  Your help is sorely
> needed.....

        Two surgeons perform gallbladder surgery on patients.

        The first spends 60 minutes, uses a laser, removes the gall bladder cleanly
and neatly, and closes with only a very small scar remaining. She charges
$5,000 for the surgery.

        The second spends four hours, uses a traditional incision, leaves part of
the gall bladder and two sponges behind, closes with 180 stitches and leaves
a huge scar. He charges $10,000 for the surgery.

        The first surgeon charged $5000/hour--the second only charged $2,500/hour.
According to your students the second surgeon should have received $20,000
for his work instead of $10,000. Ask them if that seems reasonable to them.

        BTW, if it does, point out that you've never written a horror novel--but
you'd like to do so. Since it will take you longer to do so then Stephen
King (who has more experience), do they think you would be reasonable if you
charged more for the book than he does? Explain that you aren't a very good
fiction writer--but if time is the only criteria . . .

        Other models would include photographers for Playboy versus "Sleeze"
magazine, etc., but the idea is there.

        You might also point out that by their standards, the student who studies
for eleven hours for a test and only gets 50% of the answers right should
receive more credit than the student who studies five hours and gets them
ALL right. Suggest that on the next test they might want to keep accurate
(and provable) records of the time they spend studying--in case you decide
to grade the test on _their_ basis. ;)

        Rick