I think this is a good issue. I have difficulty sometimes explaining the
difference between quality and quantity to my students, when discussing
studying for the most part. That is, I get the students who say "But I
studied for a week for your test!" I then try to give an impromptu class
discussion on studying, e.g., repetitive vs. elaborative rehearsal, etc.
I try to suggest to students that it's not the time they spend but how
they spend their time. Not sure it works. Best I can suggest is to offer a
model or suggestion of an efficient way to study/write the assigement, so
they know a bit more of the HOW, and thus don't measure their effort
purely in the time taken to complete the assignment.
Good luck,
David W.