David Bennett writes on 22 Jan 99,:

> Speaking of obvious breaches of professional ethics. . .
> This is a bit of a digression, but Susan's post brought it to mind. The
> other night I was watching television and found myself watching "Jesse."
> It's one of those awful 'sitcommy things' but that's not the point. One of
> the main characters was taking a night class and her teacher asked her out
> on a date, which she accepted. AND another main character IS a teacher and
> on the same day he asked a student out on a date, which she accepted.
> Besides the lack of hilarity that soon followed, this made me wonder. . .
> Is this the public's perception of acceptable teacher/student
> relationships? I can't imagine I was the only one watching this thinking .
> . . "wait a minute. . ."  But it seems to me, at least in the minds of the
> writers and producers of this television show, that this behavior is
> mainstream enough to serve as a plot device.
>
> Does anybody else have a problem with this?
>
> Smoothing down the hairs on the back of my neck,

If this one raised the hairs on the back of your neck, might I suggest
you take a tranquilizer before viewing the Olsen twins' latest TV show,
Two of a Kind.  Although the show focuses largely on them, their single
father is a college professor.  The only babysitter he can find for them is
an obnoxious female student and, of course, they hated each other at
first site.  As everyone who has ever seen a sitcom knows, this is the
necessary foundation for their eventual romantic relationship which they
are, I assume, taking baby sitcom steps toward in each episode.
Suffice it say, the dual relationship aspects of this situation have never
been dealt with as far as I know.  When and if it is, I doubt it will be
seen as an ethical issue.  I can only say I was floored by the lax
treatment of the issue but I guess the general public has no problem
these days separating a person's job from their personal life.  I guess
we have come a long way.

Then there's the Dr. Pepper commercial with the female teacher making
goo goo eyes at one of her male elementary students while he is
dancing around the class (shades of Mary Kay LeTourneau). . .

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Psychology Department
Box 3055
John Brown University
Siloam Springs, AR 72761
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jbu.edu/sbs/psych
Office: (501)524-7295
Fax: (501)524-9548

Thought for the day:
    Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people
    that they are right, whether they are or not.