Hi Michael,

We don't have a large population of international students, so my approach
may not work for other faculty members at larger colleges.  We have an
Assessment Center where make-up examinations, entrance exams, and placement
exams are administered.  I offer any international student the option of
having his/her exam administered in the Assessment Center without a time
limit.  I also indicate on the test administration instructions that the
student may refer to a standard dictionary (not a psychology dictionary.)

So far I have not had this policy blow up in my face.  Most of the
international students only take a small amount of extended time.  The
majority do not refer to dictionaries.  The major advantage of having them
take the exam in the Assessment Center is that we don't have that awkward
interruption at the end of class time, along with the loss of momentum as we
find suitable space near my office for the student to complete the test.

Michael Bergmire
Jefferson College
1000 Viking Drive
Hillsboro, MO 63050

>It is my observation that international students are usually the last
>ones to finish during exam periods. ... I have occasionally have them
follow me to my office and give them extra time to finish.