Rick and others,

I teach a statistics course for our psychology major/minor.  I teach
students how to use SPSS for Windows, but we do not begin the computer
work until the 3rd or 4th week of the 10-week term.  I do not teach the
course in a computer lab; our departmental facilities do not allow it.
Therefore, during the weeks that I want students to perform SPSS
exercises, I require students to sign up for computer time in our
very-small lab on a day and time that is separate from the regular class
meetings.

Not ideal, but it works.  Practically all students are comfortable with
Windows, so generalizing their skills to SPSS is relatively painless.
Of course, the challenge comes in interpreting the printouts.

Dr. Barbara Watters
Mercyhurst College
Erie, PA