Back on 6 May 99, I sent the following request to TIPS.  Many of you
responded.  Below I have summarized the results.  Much thanks to Hank
Goldstein for reminding me to summarize the messages for the list.   I will
send the actual messages in a separate post.

> For those of you teaching a course in Intro Stat:
>
> 1) Do you teach the use of a statistical software package as part of the
> class?

Of a total N of 19, all 19 reported using statistical software in teaching the
class.  This may well be reflective of a biased sample since maybe those
who don't use software wouldn't bother to respond but, as Shere Hite might
say, "I won't invalidate the experiences of these 19 individuals and I will
empower them to tell their story in their own voices (see separate
message)."

> 2) If so, which software do you use?

11/19 used some variety of SPSS.  At least five specified the Windows
version but some of the rest may also use it; they simply listed SPSS.
StatView was in second place with 2 adherents and the rest were devoted
to one of the following: Minitab, Statistica, Systat, StataQuest 4, NCSS/Win
demo, and SAS.

> 3) Do you teach the course in a computer lab?

4 taught the class in a lab
9 taught at least some of the sessions in a lab
6 did not teach the class in a lab

I will send the actual responses in a long message titled "LONG - Comp Stat
Survey Compilation".

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Psychology Department
Box 3055
John Brown University
Siloam Springs, AR 72761
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jbu.edu/sbs/psych
Office: (501)524-7295
Fax: (501)524-9548

"Instead of having 'answers' on a math test, they should just call them
 'impressions,' and if you got a different 'impression,' so what, can't
 we all be brothers?" -- Jack Handey