At 9:53 AM -0700 5/12/99, Tim Shearon wrote:
>> Now that it has been shown that placebos can be just as effective as
>>the experimental procedure,my question is how can a design be implemented
>>to control for the placebo group?
>>

>Michael- Did you sleep during research methods class. Placebo groups are
>always required in studies involving drug research and have been standard
>practice for about 60 or more years. The control group is called the
>placebo group and receives a pill (etc.) resembling the one under
>investigation but which contains an inert substance (often sugar). A
>similar group is used in brain manipulation studies (called a sham control-
>because they get a sham operation involving all the procedures except the
>actual implant, lesion, etc).
>Tim S.

Michael's question was a _bit_ better than that.
Recent studies on antidepressant drugs have shown that the placebo effect
is an active one; subjects' can discriminate between drug and placebo based
on discriminable side-effects of drugs.  This has lead to the suggestion
that we need _another_ control group which is given a drug which produces
_only_ the side effects of the substance under investigation.
Another approach is varying the instructions given to the subjects so that
they (inaccurately) expect placedbo or drug.  Ethical questions here.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Department                        507-389-6217 *
*     "The University formerly known as Mankato State"      *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *