Michael,

The problem, "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one
around, does it still make a sound?" is a semantic problem. It
depends on what you mean by "making a sound". If making a sound means
the creation of vibrations of an audible frequency, then the answer
is yes, even if there is no ear there to hear it. If making a sound
includes the presence of a comprehending ear, then the answer is no.

The question is valuable because is causes us to focus on the role of
the hearer in the very concept of "sound".

Milton Steinberg

======================================

 I am teaching Cognitive Psychology this summer and while discussing
Sensory input and perception,a student asked:
"if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around,
does it still make a sound?"

I assume yes because a tape recorder could be left there to monitor
the forest activity.

Michael Sylvester
Daytona Beach,Florida

                Milton Steinberg, Ph.D.