According to Peter Gay (1988, pp. 650-651)

        ...on September 21, as Shur was sitting by Freud's beside, Freud
took his hand and said to him, "Schur, you remember our 'contract' not to
leave me in the lurch when the time had come. Now it is nothing but torture
and makes no sense." Schur indicated that he had not forgotten. Freud gave a
sigh of relief, kept his hand for a moment and said, "I thank you." Then,
after a slight hesitation, he added, "Talk it over with Anna, and if she
thinks it's right, then make an end of it."

According to Gay, Freud had not been receiving any sedation up to this time.

        "On September 21, Schur injected Freud with three centigrams of
morphine--the normal dose for sedation was 2 centigrams--and Freud sank into
a peaceful sleep. Schur repeated the injection when he became restless, and
administered a final one the next day, September 22. Freud lapsed into a
coma from which he did not awake.  He died at three in the morning,
September 23, 1939." (Gay, p. 651)

Kris Lewis