It used to be (1960's in my experience) common advice, including baby books, for
mom to have a beer before nursing the baby.  The theory was, as I recall, that it
relaxed the mother, and aided in the 'letdown' of the milk.  Of course, the
alcohol does no good to the baby.

don
Donald McBurney
University of Pittsburgh