I would guess that this advice is based on the experience of mothers who
drink a beer, feel a little more relaxed and then perceive that nursing has
gone better.  I would have guessed that feeling relaxed might facilitate
let-down, but maybe not....

Stephen Black wrote:
> I think it's likely that alcohol also inhibits the release of
> oxytocin, which would make the beer advice strikingly inappropriate on
> physiological grounds.

But the other question being asked here is what effect does that beer have
on the content of the breast milk that is subsequently produced?  The
implication is that the nutrients of the beer will be passed on, and some of
the alchohol as well.  The former makes good sense, but I'm not sure about
the latter.  Anyone up on the production of breast milk?  Can alcohol be
present in the breast milk?

Kris Lewis
Saint Michael's College
Colchester, VT