Hi Y'all,

I read the following while doing a search of the news yesterday
(http://www.freep.com/news/mich/qport23.htm).   Apparently, four boys
(two under the age of 14) were overheard plotting a shooting/massacre at
their school.  While this clearly calls for intervention, the two 14
year-olds are being tried as adults and facing life in prison with no
possibility of parole.    No weapons were found in their homes or
possession.  Even the judge states that he doesn't believe the the kids
had the ability to carry out their plans.

Apparently, 14 year-old kids must be tried as adults in Michigan.

My question particularly for those with some expertise in adolescent
psychology - Does this seem like an appropriate response?  I find it
hard to believe that kids of this age are "unredeemable".

linda

--
linda m. woolf, ph.d.
associate professor - psychology