Yesterday, I sent a post discussing Hans Berger's intention to create a
device (the EEG)
that could measure neural activity associated with psychic phenomena.
Donald McBurney
contacted me off-list with the following. Can anyone answer his
question; and does anyone
have more information on his second set of comments?

Jeff

Jeff Ricker wrote:

> "Donald H. McBurney" wrote:
>
> > Jeff:
> >     .... Did Berger ever work in the US?  It runs in my
> > mind that the Berger rhythm was discovered in a Providence, RI
hospital.  At least I
> > think I heard that when I was at Brown about 100 years ago.
> >

> I don't know the answer to this: I had never heard anything about this
until I read the
> passage I quoted from Beyerstein's chapter. I aim to find out,
however. If you do not
> mind, I would like to repost your question to TIPS.
>
> >Further:  I meant to say that there is a surprising amount of
scientific research
> >that was originally motivated by psychic phenomena, directly or
indirectly.  (This is
> >off the top of my head, but) much of the early funding for psychology
came from widows
> >and such who thought they were furthering psychic research, including
Harvard, Penn and
> >Stanford Universities.  The American Journal of Psychology was funded
by a widow (I
> >think it was a widow) who thought she was founding a journal of
psychic research.  Etc.
> >This would be an interesting research topic.
>
> This also interests me. Again, I would like to submit this to TIPS as
a first step. David
> Likely is away (I believe), but let's see if anyone else has more
information.

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (602) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (602) 423-6298

"I believe I am correct, but I may be wrong."
                                               J. P. Ricker, Esq.