Louis_Schmier wrote:

> Jeff, let me give you my first take on this interesting question of faith
> vs.  proof.  It may be a disguised way of saying religion vs. science

As others have pointed out, "proof" isn't part of science.

> Science has a power and authority to deal with quiestions of
> "how."  But, there are other questions.  If nothing else, there is the
> annoying teleological questions of the ultimate "Why."

I've never quite understood this distinction.  *Why* can't Johnny read? Is that
another way of saying "*How* do different people read?"  Maybe that example is
too skill-based.  *Why* is Sammy depressed?  Does that mean, "*How* do we
prevent and treat depression?"  Maybe both of these examples are too narrow.
After all, the question was about the *ultimate* "Why?"  *Why* are we here?  (A
question that I heard Paul MacLean, Chief of the NIMH Laboratory of Brain
Evolution and Behavior, ask a small group of faculty and students at Grinnell
College about 17 years ago.)  Does that mean, "*How*" did natural processes
result in the current structure of the universe and its life forms?  *Why* are
there natural processes?  (What other kind would you like?)

I am probably oversimplifying these questions, but perhaps scientific progress
represents a move from asking "Why?" to asking "How?"  (Bill Cosby's, "Why is
there air?" just came back to me.)

* Mike Scoles                    *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     *
* Department of Psychology       *    voice: (501) 450-5418     *
* University of Central Arkansas *    fax:   (501) 450-5424     *
* Conway, AR    72035-0001       *                              *
********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********