In my courses, I make a claim that I am not certain is accurate. As an
example of how Freud has had a big influence on American culture (less
so in other places), I point to the common belief in the US that parents
should not let their children sleep with them. This is a practice that
is very unusual (so I have heard) in many other parts of the world. I
suggest to my students that Freud's theory of the Oedipus Complex was a
major influence on this practice.

Is this claim accurate? I'm sure that there must be other influences;
but it seems to me that Freud's theory would have offered a "scientific"
justification for this practice that would have been very influential.
Does anyone know?

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"No one can accept the fundamental hypotheses of scientific psychology
and be in the least mystical."
                                   Knight Dunlap