I teach that the practice of children sleeping separately from parents is a
cultural phenomenon. The U.S. is an individualistic culture.  We expect our
children to be independent from us, and we begin that training very early in
life by doing things such as putting them in a separate room to sleep.

I believe I read this in a text somewhere...maybe I should try to find it.

Steffen Wilson
Eastern Kentucky University