I don't know how much csf weighs for a typical person, but this might help
in getting students to understand its function as a "cushion."  Ask them to
think how much a raw egg  (out of the shell) would be deformed if it was
put on a table vs. if it was put in  glass of water (fried or poached?).
Also, with the raw egg still in the shell, would it be easier to break by
shaking it in an empty mug or one that is filled with water?

Steffen Wilson wrote:

> I had two questions today in class
>
> 2. How much does the cerebrospinal fluid in brain weigh and how much
> weight does it remove from the brain.  ( I teach that one function of
> this fluid is to make our brains lighter so that we can support it.  A
> student noted that adding liquid also adds weight -I said that the
> addition of weight was probably overridden by the subtraction of weight
> by the liquid ending in a net result of more weight lost than gained-
> and I told him I would try to find out how much weight the fluid adds
> versus takes away.  I hope I was close on that one!)

* Mike Scoles                    *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     *
* Department of Psychology       *    voice: (501) 450-5418     *
* University of Central Arkansas *    fax:   (501) 450-5424     *
* Conway, AR    72035-0001       *                              *
********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********