Kandel, E.R., Schwartz, J.H., & Jessell, T.M. (1991).  Principles of
neural science.

Well, in chapter 7, Passive membrane properties of the neuron, it
reads:
    The nongated ion channels that give rise to the resting
    potential also degrade the signaling function of the neuron.
    They make the cell leaky and, together with the high membrane
    capacitance, they limit the distance that a signal can travel
    without being actively amplified.

Chapter 8, Voltage-gated ion channels and the generation of the action
potential, describes "the mechanisms of action in voltage-gated channels."

I'm not going to try to clarify the difference (as if I could...), but
it's seems quite clear that the authors are discussing two different
types of channels.  Hope this helps.

All my best,

Pam

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Stephen Black wrote:

> I've long assumed that the passive channels that allow Na+ to move
> into the cell in the resting state are different from the
> voltage-gated sodium channels that open during the action potential.
> But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong. Unfortunately, the texts
> I've checked don't discuss the issue. Kalat (Biological Psychology,
> 6th ed.) does seem to imply there's only one kind of channel, but
> he doesn't explicitly state this).
>
> Can someone clarify this, preferably with a source? Are there two
> types of channels, passive and voltage-gated, or does one serve for
> both?
>
> -Stephen

      Pamela Joyce Shapiro  |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Temple University     |  voice mail: (215) 204-9595-
      Cognitive Psychology  |  mailbox # 888-3214