> At 8:15 AM -0700 10/7/99, Sue Frantz wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I received e-mail a couple days ago from a reference librarian who
> >had a request from a faculty member who is looking for the full text
> >of the "Scholar's Creed."
> >
> >Unfortunately, I don't believe I have the original source, and, more
> >embarrassingly, I can't find where on my website a portion of it was
> >quoted.  The librarian who had contacted me threw out the slip of
> >paper containing the URL.
> >
> >With all that as preamble, if it's on my website someplace, I'm
> >willing to bet I got it from TIPS.  So... anyone out there have the
> >source of the "Scholar's Creed"?

Sue:

It's at http://web.nmsu.edu/~sfrantz/tips/courseend.htm
I've appended it below. How can you lose an item on
your own web site?

The creed is attributed to Dr. John J. Seelman. I've discovered that a
John J. Seelman, M.D. was the president of the Medical Society of
Milwaukee in 1921. He published a book on the diagnosis of
syphilis in 1916. Here the trail runs cold...(This is a tough one)

-Stephen
              --------------------------------------

2.  From an inspirational talk I once heard Howard Eves give, I hand
out the following to my students so they might get the bigger picture:

                                       The Scholar's Creed

I believe the knowledge I have received or may receive from teacher
and book, does not belong to me;  that it is committed to me only in
trust;  that it still belongs and always will belong to the humanity
which produced it through all the generations. I believe I have no
right to administer this trust in any manner whatsoever that may
result in injury to mankind, its beneficiary, on the contrary -- I
believe it is my duty to administer it singly for the good of this
beneficiary, to the end that the world may become a kindlier, a
happier, a better place in which to live.

from The Scholar's Creed
by Dr. John J. Seelman

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/