Yes someone please answer this because I always stumble through
this as well---seemingly all of the cortical and subcortical structures
are part of the forebrain, according to my texts on the shelf,
except for what seem to be the hypothalamus and the corpora quadrigemina.

Any historian know how this "division" came about--as with any division
I assume it is somewhat artificial and would like to understand the
logic.

Personally, if it was me, I would have put the cortices in the forebrain
and all the subcortical stuff together in the midbrain to help students,
at least, understand the distinction between what I see is a way of
"categorizing" or "organizing" the structures based on related
phylogeny and function.

I like the hind brain as is :-)

annette

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Michael Sylvester wrote:

>  why does not the midbrain receive a broader and more in-depth coverage as
>  the front and hind areas?
>  (Note: we are using Wade and Tavris Intro text)
>
> Michael Sylvester
> Daytona Beach,Florida
>
> "Yes Virginia,there exists a Michael Sylvester
>                              and he does teach Psychology."

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan