Izquierdo found that morphine could impair habituation of the startle reflex in
rats.  If she was given an opiate, or perhaps through endogenous opioids released

Paradoxically, endogenous opioids have been implicated in "flashbulb" memories.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What an interesting subject line! A student asked me why she might not have
> remembered much about her hospital stay after she gave birth. She told me
> that her mother took many pictures of her with the new baby but she has
> no memory for many of the events in the pictures. Can memory be affected by
> having recently given birth?
>
> On the other hand, just before she left, she told me that several hours
> after the pictures were taken, she had been given a general anesthetic (I
> don't know why: she didn't offer a lot of information). I thought that this
> might have affected the consolidation of long-term memories. Is that possible?
>
> Jeff Ricker
> Scottsdale Community College
> Scottsdale AZ
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Mike Scoles                      *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   *
* Department of Psychology         *    voice: (501) 450-5418   *
* University of Central Arkansas   *    fax:   (501) 450-5424   *
* Conway, AR    72035-0001         *                            *
********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********