This thread relates to an experience I had in August when I had two
bony-impacted wisdom teeth removed.  I did not want to have general
anesthesia, but agreed to have an anti-anxiety drug and pain drug  (both IV)
in addition to the novocaine.  The anti-anxiety drug was a valium-type,
Versid (sp?).  The oral surgeon started the IV and asked me if I was feeling
relaxed.  The next thing I remember is realizing that my mouth was full of
gauze, and my daughter was waiting to drive me home.  The really weird part
to me is that apparently I really was conscious the whole time (according to
both the surgeon and my daughter).  The surgeon said Versid is an amnesiac
and I am assuming it interferes with short-term memory, but I'm not sure.
It just seems weird to me that I could be "conscious" and not have
experienced any awareness of what happened during a period of over an hour
(or at least any memory of being aware of what was going on.)

Kris Lewis
Saint Michael's College
Colchester VT