On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Charles M. Huffman wrote:

> Tasha Howe wrote:
>
> <A student in intro psych. asked the question and I had no
> <idea why most blondes' hair turns brown, do you?
>
> I am skeptical about the claim.  Possibly, your student is refering to
> limited observations and you now have the opportunity to teach the student
> about the danger or restrictions of such thinking.  In other words, you may
> not receive an answer to your question because there is none.

For whatever anecdotal evidence is worth, my wife and I were both blondes
as young children (through age 7 or 8), and we both sport brown hair now.
As far as I know, there was no bleaching of my hair by my parents while I
was sleeping, and I know that I don't dye it now, so the effect seems
legitimate.  Although I have no idea why it happens, I suspect there's a
genetic component, as pictures of my (naturally brown-haired) mother also
show her with very light blonde hair as a child.

Jeff

BTW, being a blond-haired, blue-eyed child proved to be very
disadvantageous while visiting places where such things are anomolies.  I
recall a visit to Turkey when I was about 6, and my cheeks were red from
all of the pinching they got from locals.  People on the street would just
stop and stare--sometimes approaching our family to touch my head or
pinch my cheeks.  A waiter cut my food up in a restaurant.  A young lady
gave me a honeysuckle (or some other nice-smelling flower) necklace for
no apparent reason. Not the kind of attention 6-year-olds savor.

================================================  ____________________
Jeff Bartel         Grad Student in Social Psyc  |          Manhattan >
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dept of Psychology  |               x    \_
www-personal.ksu.edu/~jbartel   Kansas State U.  |                      |
 Syllabi page for psychology instructors:        |                      |
  www-personal.ksu.edu/~jbartel/syllabi.html     |        KANSAS        |

Reading an email message about a new email virus?  Getting a note that's
been forwarded to a dozen other people?  Before you pass it along, drop by
http://www.US.datafellows.com/news/hoax/ for a list of recent hoaxes and
chain letters.