(hope I've got all the attributions right)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Jeff Bartel wrote:

> For whatever anecdotal evidence is worth, my wife and I were both blondes
> as young children (through age 7 or 8), and we both sport brown hair now.
> As far as I know, there was no bleaching of my hair by my parents while I
> was sleeping, and I know that I don't dye it now, so the effect seems
> legitimate.  Although I have no idea why it happens, I suspect there's a
> genetic component, as pictures of my (naturally brown-haired) mother also
> show her with very light blonde hair as a child.

While as sceptical as the next person (possibly even more), I have to
support Jeff on this one and turn an anecdote into data. In short, me
too. I was once blonde (well, sort-of) but no one could accuse me of
that now. And it's not graying that we're talking about (I said, we're
not talking about it!) but a steady darkening with age. My kids too. I
think it's a well-established phenomenon.

And getting back to Tasha's question, I don't have a clue.

(but way back on September 14/99, Jeff Ricker pointed us to Mange and
Mange's 1980 textbook, _Human Genetics_ when we had a similar
discussion. Jeff quoted the Manges as saying "Some pigmentation may
develop over a period of years...The hair may turn from white or
cream-colored in infancy to yellow or red in adulthood...[I guess they
were listing some extremes]. That doesn't explain the phenomenon, but
it confirms it. However, it's well-known (which means I don't have a
handy reference) that some genes only exert their effect late in life
(Huntington's Chorea, for example), so it's only a small stretch to
imagine a more continuous, slowly-developing effect).

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/