While we are compiling data on this phenomenon, I might as well add my
familial observations.

My baby-blonde hair had turned to my adult light brown by the time I was in
Kindergarten.  My two sisters stayed blonde much later (and never got as
dark as mine), with the bulk of the darkening occurring around the time of
puberty.  This is so common among siblings and cousins in my family that I
wasn't the least surprised when my very blonde daughter's hair began to
darken to an ashy blonde (to her dismay) around puberty.  Curiously, my
daughter was born with lots of dark brown hair.  That hair went away after
a few weeks and after a year or so of near-baldness, the new hair was pale
blonde.  The controls for this must be complicated.

Claudia Stanny

>I too suspect the change in hair characteristics may be genetically based.
>Sometime ago I spent a little time trying to track down info on the
genetics of
>hair but idn't have much success beyond discussion of recessive and dominant
>characteristics. Among my daughters, not only does the color change from
>platinum to dark blond/light brown, but as they approached puberty their hair
>went from straight to extremely wavy/kinked - quite a dramatic
transformation.
>We know sex hormones affect gene expression but, in my brief search, I didn't
>find any data on hair characteristics in particular.
>
>Linda Walsh
>University of Northern Iowa

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751