Good morning all!

Last night in my lifespan course, we were discussing perinatal complications. One of the students reported having a preterm baby (27 weeks) and instead of the baby being low birthweight, the baby, at 27 weeks,  weighed 81/2 pounds. She said her physician was very concerned about the baby weighing so much and that this could cause problems; however, the doctor wasn't very specific.

This is the first time I've encountered this question and was certainly at a loss for explaining this. Has anyone heard of preterm babies weighing too much? Is there any literature on this, problems the baby might have, etc.

Thanks in advance.