Hi,

I'm teaching developmental psych this semester.  For whatever reason, I
seem to have wound up with an extra lecture in the section on early
childhood.

So...I've been looking for something different.  And we've already utilized
some films.

So..I thought...hmm...I have an 18 month old and a 32 month old.  Both girls.
I thought "That could be fun to bring them to class.  The students would get
a kick out it, and the kiddies could do some developmental tasks that would
illustrate some important differences between these two age groups."

Hmm...then I realized I don't have ANY "developmental tasks" to implement.
I'm not a child psychologist, and I have very little training working
with/testing/assessing with young children.

Does anyone on the list have any good, easy to set up, developmental tasks
that I might try?

Other issues:
-Are these kids too young?  Has anyone tried an in-class demo with very
young children.  I can at least imagine that I won't be able to go the entire
class period.

-Also, I'm feeling guilty -- I don't like feeling that I might be exploiting my own
children just because I want to do something different in class.  Am I
overreacting, or am I being appropriately protective of them?

Thanks!

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.  Director of Training, Counseling Center
Adjunct Professor,  Dept. of Psychology/Counseling
                             Dept. of Health Sciences
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"Search others for their virtues, they self for thy vices."
             -Benjamin Franklin