Does anyone know of cases, especially at the more competitive state or national
levels, where a psychology project has  earned anything other than an "honorable
mention?"  Is there an appreciation of good research in psychology, or of the
difficulties of doing good research in psychology (as compared to those "hard"
sciences).

--

Gary Peterson wrote:

>     I just had an interesting experience with a high school student who came
> to me asking about a possible psychology project for a science fair.

>  I heard from the high
> school instructor that her dad dissuaded her from pursuing such a project in
> favor of more traditional science work.  I am sure there are many reasons,
> but given the popular conceptions of psychology, and perhaps the limited
> opportunities for science tracks in psychology, scholarships, etc., her
> father may have a point.  Do any tipsters know of similar problems in the
> high schools of getting students to develop projects in psychological
> science?  Are there prejudices or limitations for students interested in
> pursuing science, if their interest is psychology?

********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********
* Mike Scoles                       *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Department of Psychology          *    voice: (501) 450-5418  *
* University of Central Arkansas    *    fax:   (501) 450-5424  *
* Conway, AR    72035-0001          *                           *
It is impossible not to envy the man who can dismiss reason,
although we know how it must turn out at last.
                                           - C.S. Peirce (1877)