The spring semester is well underway, and, unfortunately, I've had to face up
to the fact that I've got a few cheaters in one of this semester's classes.
These students have turned identical homework papers, and after I noticed
them talking to each other during our most recent quiz, I compared their
papers and found several of the same bizzare wrong answers...a dead giveaway.

I questioned these students just after the quiz to ask essentially, "Why the
hell are you talking during a quiz?", and their denials of any wrongdoing
were as adamant as their crime was obvious.  Even though these students
had clearly cheated (there was too much similarity in their papers for it
to have been coincidence), these students didn't seem to think they had done
anything wrong....amoral punks, or excellent actors?  Which brings me to my
question.

The cheating students were all from a particular ethnic group, and every time
I have had 2 or more students from this ethnic group in a class, I've had
a problem with them cheating.  (In one cases, they passed their test papers
back and forth; in another they both needed to go to the bathroom at about
the same time, being gone for about 10 minutes.... grrrrrrrrrr)

Are their particular cultures which view the American educational system's
emphasis on individual learning and acheivement just so wrong that they
don't mind cheating to make it thru?  Are there particular cultures where
the ethos is to "win at all costs"?  Has anyone else noticed a correlation
between cheating and culture?

I'm interested in hearing your experiences...I don't want to name the ethnic
group in question just yet so as not to bias anyone's reflections.  Thanks
in advance!

        -- Don

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  Donald Carter Davis, Ph.D. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
GREEN BAY PACKERS = A DREAM DEFERED, A DREAM DENIED | FIRE RAY RHODES NOW!!!