I'd like to thank everyone for their input on my cheating problem...

The advice on how to handle cheaters was a good reminder, and my little
cheaters will not be sitting within whispering distance anymore...

I believe the explanation that these persons i.) are coming from a collectivist
culture, where cheating sort of makes sense and ii.) these people believe
that American education is crapola, they got better education in the "old
country", and we are just wasting their time.

However, no one mentioned the ethnic group I've been having trouble with for
2 years.....RUSSIANS!!  Let me give you the statistical breakdown for the
last 6 semesters....

        Number of cheating incidents:                           4
        Number of cheating incidents involving Russians         4
        Number of cheating incidents involving non-Russians     0
        % classes having cheating incidents in classes
        where 2 or more Russians were enrolled                  100%
        % classes having cheating incidents in classes
        where 0 Russians were enrolled                          0%

Oh, yes, I know this is EXTREMELY un-PC of me, but these are the facts.
I think a lot of you with the "now let's not jump to conclusions blah blah
blah, small sample size blah blah" were reacting from a bit of PC kneejerkdom.
I intentionally omitted the name of the ethnic group initially, not wanting
to prejudice anyone's reflections on their own experience.  But I see I
unwittingly baited some of you into assuming that the ethnic group tormenting
me was on the "PC Protected List"

To those of you wagging your finger at me, warning me against the danger of
small sample size, I ask you...how many cheating incidents must I observe
before you will allow me to believe the evidence of my eyes?

I say: "It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, it's a duck"

You folks are saying, "It's does appear to have a gait much like that of a duck
and it has emitted a sound resembling that of a duck 275 times in a row...
however, I think it would be premature to conclude at this early juncture
that this creature is, in fact, a duck.  Alternative hypotheses must be
explored, and a good deal more study is needed before we can draw any
definitive conclusions.

If you wonder why academics dont' get quite as much respect as we don't like
from society at large, I think this is one of the reasons.

Jumping to conclusions,

        -- Don

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  Donald Carter Davis, Ph.D. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
GREEN BAY PACKERS = A DREAM DEFERED, A DREAM DENIED | FIRE RAY RHODES NOW!!!