Hi Tipsters:

This must be my semester for the weird stuff. Today, in relation to the brain and the breathing reflex, a couple of students informed me that babies "forget" to breathe. I mentioned SIDS.. nope that wasn't it. I mentioned sleep apnea.. nope, not that either. Their pediatricians advised them that babies forget to breathe...that's the most I could get from them. I told them that my understanding is that breathing is reflexive in nature and gave an example of children who threaten to "hold their breath till they die." Even if they pass out, the breathing reflex kicks in. If I'm wrong, uninformed, etc., I would sure like to know as I have nothing in my files regarding this.

Thanks for any help!