Mike wrote:

> A philosopher at my institution teaches a course, "Consciousness
> and the Paranormal," that appears to be the antithesis to my
> own course on critical thinking and the paranormal (my
> class takes a skeptical approach, his does not).  He talks
> a lot about "transpersonal psychology" on his syllabus, and
> before I ask him about this, I was wondering whether anyone
> on the list knows anything about transpersonal psychology?
> I've never heard of it.

        I probably shouldn't admit this--but I know a fair amount about
Transpersonal Psychology (what would you expect of a trained Jungian turned
Reality Therapist :).

        The Institute for Transpersonal Psychology provides a pretty good
definition of Transpersonal Psychology on their web page, so rather than
re-invent the wheel, I'll just quote them instead:

============================

Transpersonal Psychology is the extension of psychological studies into
consciousness studies, spiritual inquiry, body-mind relationships and
transformation. Carl Jung first coined the term transpersonal
(uberpersonlich) when he used the phrase "transpersonal unconscious" as a
synonym for "collective unconscious."

A key stimulus for the establishment of transpersonal psychology as a
distinct field of inquiry was Abraham H. Maslow's research on
self-actualizing persons. Maslow's work addressed not only psychological
wounding and personal development, but the study of peak experiences,
inspired creativity, altruistic ideals and personal actions that transcend
"ordinary" personality as well.

Refined by the work of scholars such as Roger Walsh, Frances Vaughan,
Stanislav Grof, Arthur J. Deikman, Ken Wilber and Charles T. Tart,
transpersonal psychology now encompasses the study of the full range of
human experience, from abnormal behavior to healthy normal functioning, to
spiritually embodied and transcendent consciousness

=============================

        Basically, Transpersonal Psychology combines traditional methods
(primarily--although far from exclusively--analysis & Analytical Psychology)
with both Eastern philosophies and Western Quantum Mechanics (yes, Virginia,
there _is_ a non-Santa Claus). The strongest voices in the modern movement
are Grof, Wilber, and Singer--although most Transpersonalists are, at the
least, well read in Jung & the neo-Jungians--and the more modern Buddhist
psychologists.

        If there are any areas you have a particular interest in, let me know and
I'll try to clarify them.

        Rick <--who just lost all credibility on TIPS <sigh>

--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"