At 2:02 AM -0500 3/3/00, Rick Adams wrote:
>Jim wrote:
>
>> Transpersonal psychology, as far as I can tell, is the latest
>> incarnation of much that is anti-scientific about the broader
>> field of psychology.  It seems to be some combination of
>> parapsychology, humanistic psychology, Jungian psychology,
>> Religion (especially Eastern), and the like.  I suspect that it
>> would be a very popular approach to human experience for
>> uncritical undergraduates.  Below are some links and quotes taken
>> off the internet.  Search for Transpersonal and Psychology, and,
>> sadly, you won't be short of lots of hits.  (My comments are
>> preceded by JC:)
>
>       Now be nice, Jim.

He was!

>       There _are_ some valid areas of inquiry in TP (Transpersonal
>Psychology),
>despite the "New Age" influence on it. There are many more traditional areas
>of psychology (i.e., Humanistic Psychology, RET, TA, etc.) that are just as
>far removed from "hard science" psychology as are most of the TP areas.

The question is not whether these are valid topics for investigation.
It's whether the particular methods of investigation are likely to produce
valuable (same root) results.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *