Title: "Being a sucker" - African American males
I have a former student who is now a graduate student in Public
Health.  She is looking for research on a very specific topic and
I haven't been able to offer much in the way of help.  Does
anybody have any input/suggestions (beyond the usual lit search,
which she has conscientiously done)?  Below is my summation of
her description.  After that is a longer description she emailed me.

Many thanks.

Beth Benoit
University of Massachusetts Lowell

She is working on a research project about the encouragement of violence
within the African American culture among male adolescents as a sort of
rite of adolescence in order to gain respect.  The expression "being a
sucker" refers to not having respect for themselves, particularly because
they feel victimized.  The best way to "not be a sucker " is to be violent
with each other, and this will win respect.

Here is what she emailed me: