Very nice puzzle! I've never seen it with four people before,
but the three person scenario has been around for a long
time. I think it's traditionally a two-eyed man, a one-eyed man
(just to differentiate the two sighted characters) and a blind
man. The hats are red or white. The two-eyed man says he
can't tell, the one-eyed man ditto, and the blind man says

"Though I have lost my use of sight,
>From what my friends with eyes have said,
I plainly see my hat is _____"

(Either 'white' or 'red' makes the rhyme. I think I've seen
the whole puzzle in verse. Probably in one of Martin Gardiner's
"Aha! Insight!" puzzle books.)

-David

John W. Kulig wrote:

> There are 4 men. Two are wearing black hats, two white hats  ...snip...

        David G. Likely, Department of Psychology,
        University of New Brunswick
        Fredericton,  N. B.,  E3B 5A3  Canada

History of Psychology:
 http://www.unb.ca/web/psychology/likely/psyc4053.htm