I'd like to concur here with Jim and others about bible reading.  Many
students are often able to find quips or general statements that affirm
their prejudices (this is modeled by those around them of course), but many
have not really studied the bible---especially, study in the sense of
critical inquiry.  Many pastors themselves bemoan the glib way bible
references are tossed out.  As Jim mentioned, it is sometimes useful to ask
them to explore the passages more carefully and thoughtfully.  I don't
usually take class time for this but talk to the student individually about
such issues with reference to ideas about what it means to be a student,
critical thinking, reasoning fallacies, or similar topics.   Gary Peterson