Although I only have a quote, and not the direct citation, some of the
most widely reported information about the relative intelligence of pigs
came from work by Breland and Breland.  They studied a number of different
species, and they reported that "pigs condition very rapidly, they have no
trouble taking ratios, they have ravenous appetites, and in many ways are
the most trainable animals we have worked with."

Bob Batsell
Kalamazoo College