Ricardo Hodara wrote:

> Situation:
> A little poor boy in USA with his relatives.
> Question1:
> Shall the boy be sent back to a dictatorship?
> Two possible answers: Yes or no (some people
> love dictatorships)
> Question2:
> Shall the boy be sent to his relatives in a democracy?
> Two posible answers: yes or no (some people
> love democracies)
> Ricardo, Brasil.

        Actually, those are only valid questions if they are being written by a
government propagandist--not by a scientist seeking accuracy or truth.

        The questions, devoid of political bias, are:

        1. Shall the boy be returned to the custody of his father.

        2. Shall the boy be placed in the custody of other relatives.

        Given that nowhere in this incident has the least suggestion been made that
the father is not a capable and loving parent, or that he is in any way an
unfit father, the answer (leaving out all the political rhetoric and
prejudice) is a pretty obvious one.

        It's been made complex by the issue of nationality, not by concerns for
what is really best for the boy as an individual.

        To see just how clouded political rhetoric makes the issue, let's alter
your scenario a bit and see how YOU answer it:

        Situation:

        A little poor boy is in the USA, temporarily staying with relatives because
his mother was killed during the trip.

        Shall the boy be sent back to his father in a country where children are
widely known to be subject to massive sexual exploitation, police brutality,
and physical abuse or murder on the streets of the cities, and hunger,
sexual abuse, and poverty in the smaller communities, due to political
corruption?

        Shall the boy be placed in the permanent custody of his relatives in the
USA?

        Want to try _that_ set? The statements about the abusive nation portray an
image of _Brazil_ that is as widely accepted as an accurate portrayal of
_your_ nation here in the USA as are the statements about Cuba that form the
basis of the movement _not_ to send him home.

        As a ham radio operator, I frequently talk with friends in Cuba. One of the
most common questions I've been hearing lately is "Why does your country
want to kidnap one of our children?"

        Think about it.

        Rick

--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"