This reminds me of a few years ago when a student told me that his dog
had eaten his homework.  The student was Japanese and did not understand
why I kept laughing as he scrambled through his backpack to produce the
mangled proof.  Finally, I was able to explain that a dog eating one's
homework was an old joke in the U.S.

Ann Calhoun-Sauls
Department of Psychology
Belmont Abbey College