I was in Boston last week as my wife attended a conference. Since I knew
the William James house was being developed into some
apartment/condominiums, I thought I ought to head out to 95 Irving
Street in Cambridge and see the place for myself. Turns out it's only
about three blocks from William James Hall where the Harvard psych
department is.

Anyway I got there on a Friday afternoon only to find workman swarming
all over the place. I took a couple of pictures to use in my history
class, but didn't look around much since "No Trespassing" signs were
everywhere and I was in a rule governed mood.

On the subway back to downtown, I said, "You dufuss! An opportunity was
missed." I knew Thorndike's chicks were housed in the basement, and as a
learning theorist I should have asked to see it. A few months earlier,
people lived there, and in a few months new people would be there again
- a once in a lifetime chance squandered. Well by Saturday, I had to go
back. It was late afternoon, and the workman had gone home. The front
door was secured. My rule governed mood had evaporated, and as I walked
around, one couldn't help but notice that the exterior basement door
wasn't latched - jammed shut, but not latched. One good shoulder blow
and I was in the basement! Of course, it didn't look the same - a new
concrete floor had been poured and partitions were going in. Not a speck
of chicken poop anywhere. But, I was there.

I should add that also close by is the Swedenborg Chapel (across from
James Hall) - a study center for those interested in his mystical
philosophy. I couldn't help but note the current proximity to the James
home since Swedenborg had played such a pivotal role in James' father's
life (mental health). William later suffered from the same sort of
"vastations" that his father had.

Friday I'm off on one of those quests - Freud/Vienna, Leipzig (bldg.'s
gone), Paris/Descartes (I'll let you know about the head), Bicetre,
Salpetriere, London/Freud, Oxford/Locke, Down House (Darwin), etc.

--
Thom

Thomas G. Brown, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Distinguished Professor of the College

Utica College of Syracuse University
1600 Burrstone Road, Utica, New York, 13502-4892
Voice: 315/792-3187          Fax: 315/792-3702