I see that I was wrong: I believed that the number of species having the
ability to learn through observation was fairly small. Probably a
vestige of my desire to believe in some version of a "chain of being,"
with us, of course, being near the top (just below the angels).

Thank you all--Susan Morton, Kathy Morgan, Paul Smith, Deb Brihl, Linda
Walsh, Stephen Black (twice, or was it thrice?), and David Likely (God,
I hope I haven't forgotten anybody)--for enlightening me and showing me
once again that I have not become the all-knowing being I had always
suspected I could be (there's that chain-of-being idea sneaking in
again. I blame it on being raised Catholic. I WAS a cute alter boy,
though, even if I never could get the Latin right).

Now my question (inspired by Stephen): what is the difference between
dolphins and porpoises? I know that there is one, but I can't remember.

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde
"Science must begin with myths and with the criticism of myths"
                                   Karl Popper

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)

http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html