On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Jeff Ricker wrote:

> Now my question (inspired by Stephen): what is the difference between
> dolphins and porpoises? I know that there is one, but I can't remember.

And now the answer, courtesy of the Vancouver aquarium:
http://oceanlink.island.net/aquafacts/dolphin.html#anchor197034

What's the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?

There are slight physical differences between dolphins and
porpoises:

Porpoise teeth are shaped like spades and each tooth has a long,
sharp upper edge.

Dolphin teeth are shaped like cones and are pointed.

Porpoises tend to be smaller than dolphins and usually do not
have pronounced beaks.

So if it's a larger pointy-toothed beaked aquatic mammal, it's a
dolphin. Otherwise think porpoise. No wonder no one can remember
the difference between them.

-Stephen
Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/