Devil's advocate position only:
By your logic, below, there is also no 'scientific' evidence that
alternative methods of discipline are better.

I don't mind discussions against corporal punishment, but I'd like to
seem them made where they cannot be so easily countered. Otherwise they
come across again, as based on emotion rather than anything else.
annette

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tipsters,
>
> I am not sure why this decision and the evidence that it is based on is called
>"scientific". If it were "scientific" there would be a controlled longitudinal study
>in progress comparing group of children being raised with "mild" spanking (whatever
>that means) and a group being raised without it and then some meaningful discussion
>of findings on how "good" everyone turned out to be.
>
> The fact that 70% of parents in a particular area resort to assaulting their
>children in lieu of more thoughful and logical discipline is scientific in that it
>describes what is going on with parents in that area of Canada.
>
> When someone shows me actual "scientific" evidence that spanking is a better for of
>discipline than methods than don't involve violence, I will change my schpiel on it.
>If all things were equal (and that is by no means supported by these findings,
>either) I still think parents can do better than to raise their hands to their
>children.  It has been determined that African Americans and women are not "property"
>and from a moral standpoint children should not be treated as such either.
>
> Nancy Melucci
> Huntington Beach, CA

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan