I was watching Tennis' U.S. Open this weekend, hearing the cheers and
applause, watching the adolation for these accomplished atheletes by
people sitting in a brand new stadium.  At times, I thought about the 3/4
million in prize money, the millions in endorsements,the adolation,
high salaries, and other unimaginable social and financial perks.

        And, then I saw a saddening piece on Sunday Morning talking about
teaching as if it was a vow of poverty and teachers as if they were
unappreciated, taken-for-granted missionary workers or Peace Corps
volunteers.

        Ah me.....

        We should be building each of our schools like majestic palaces;
        We should be creating exciting and inspiring classroom
environment;
        We should be adoring and respecting our teachers like heroic
professionals;
        We should be competing with business for the brightest and best
with high five and six figure salaries;  to pursue, attract, invest in and
keep teachers;
        We should be seeing that each child is an invaluable national
treasure and piece of the future

        ......and I don't know how to do all that.

Make it a good day.

                                                       --Louis--

Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of History             www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta State University         www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
                        -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
                         _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____