From: Stephen Black [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 12:26 AM
To: TIPS
Subject: Re: Stories (Anecdotes)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Gary Lotto wrote:

> After trying to use TIPS and some sites on the web to improve my
> teaching of Introductory Psychology, I recently realized something
> important that's missing for me.
>
> I probably do my best teaching when I have stories (anecdotes) to
> tell about the subject matter.  I think the students retain better.
> A good text is filled with stories.  But I'd like to add to them.
> My searching the web and reading TIPS has not substantially
> contributed to my virtual file of interesting stories I'd like to be able
> choose from.
>
> Can anyone suggest sites that might contribute to what I'm looking for?

Well, I'm surprised to hear this, because some of my best stuff
comes from TIPS. Perhaps you haven't been on long enogh, Gary, or
perhaps you have something different in mind. Just scanning
through my excessively long mail queue (posts I'm holding onto
until I figure out where to put them), I see topics such as:

-Mike the headless chicken
-Did John B. Watson engage in sex studies with his student?
-What became of Descartes' head and finger? And where's the rest
 of him?
-Why is it hard to steer a bicycle with your hands crossed?
-Was Freud euthanized?
-Where did the myth that we only use 10% of our brains come from?
-Beer and breastfeeding
-Sleepwalking murderers
-Whatever happened to Genie?
-The sad story of William James Sidis

And that's just for starters...

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/