On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Janice Gearan wrote:

> Speaking of anecdotes....does someone know what finally did happen to
> "Genie"?? Rymer's book ends with Genie living in a group home. Has she since
> died?? Also, what was the cause of Phineas Gage's death 12 years after that
> fateful day in Cavendish, VT.?? Was it due to epileptic seizures as I have
> read??

Last things first. Malcolm Macmillan, an acknowledged Gage
scholar (perhaps _the_ Gage scholar) maintains a Gage website at:

http://www.hbs.deakin.edu.au/gagepage/PGQUESTN.HTM

which is well worth browsing. In it, he is somewhat coy about
Gage's death, saying he suffered epileptic seizures and then
died. There was no autopsy. Presumably the seizures were the
cause of death, but there's no way to be sure. Possibly there's
more detailed information in one of Macmillan's publications.

As for Genie, she is still alive circa February 15, 2000. This is
the date of a posting by Shannon Gadbois to TIPS concerning her
correspondence with Susan Curtiss, which you can dig out of the
TIPS archives. The main point is that Genie is now at last in a
high-quality care facility, but that Dr. Curtiss is not allowed
to see her. A friend of Dr. Curtiss has, and reports that Genie's
verbal and signing skills have deteriorated.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/