[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hence a true Cross-cultural Psychologist should express a passion for the integrity
>of
> other cultures .

    Michael:

    Believe me, this is an honest and well-intentioned reply. Some people believe
having
"passion for the integrity of other cultures" is a sign that person has transcended the
boundries of their own culture. In so doing, they are more objective and fair - and
less
bigoted.
    However, I entertain a totally different conclusion: that having a passion for the
validity of other cultures, as well as weakened faith that one's own culture (including
Eurocentric science), is simply of symptom of late 20th century main-stream American
thought.
Further, that exponents of such views are as trapped by this world-view as other
people are
trapped by theirs. Call me a pessimist, but I have difficulty believing one can escape
one's
cultural world-view this easily. It's easy accepting other cultures that are similiar
to ours.
We also "accept" others that are quaint - so long as they pose no threat to ours. But
how does
one embrace the polygamy of certain Middle Eastern cultures? The cultures that prevent
women
from voting? The cultures that do not believe in secular government? The culture that
puts an
assination contract on Rushdie? Cultural diversity - in the trenches - is a tough
kernel to
digest.
    What I think is happening is that American values (including those alluded to
above) are
gaining supremacy across the globe. American is not only the great super-power - we
are the
great super-culture. Why did we bomb Serbia? To protect American self-interests? Or
because
our cultural view does not tolerate a Milosovic-style culture? I think we forget how
culturally imperialistic the US has become.
    But I am not a total pessimist. I believe it possible to escape - in part - one's
culture
and acquire an appreciation of other peoples. But I think the people who do it best
are the
quacks and the eccentrics - certainly not those held in high esteem by the main-stream
culture. Seeing the ethnocentrism in our own attempts to transcend ethnocentrism
(that's not a
typo) may be an important step in any attempt to deal with cross-cultural psychology.
But -
given that we are a conforming, arrogant and often hostile species - I wish us good
luck. We
will need it!

disclaimers:

p.s. I do not mean to criticize those who supported the Bosnian war on humanitarian
grounds
btw. Those are good instincts to have. But it is easier "fighting for peace" (as that
old
oxymoron implies) when the culture of those we are fighting is unacceptable to our own.

p.p.s. obviously, I use the phrase "american values" to refer to western values not
confined
to the US
John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.