At 11:49 PM 10/10/2000 -0400, Stephan Black wrote:
>Well, the dictionary I quoted had it as "bouton", and so does
>Kalat, and Kandel also (and he just won the Nobel Prize, so we'd
>better listen up). But Pinel calls it a "button". So, some do,
>some don't.

Glancing through a stack of old intro books, I found that Weiten,
Sternberg, and Zimbardo use "button".

But the real reason I wanted to chime in is to increase the mystery. James
Kalat in the 2nd edition of his Intro to Psych book (1990) used "terminal
button" (page 71). (Don't ask why I still have the 2nd edition within
reach... I really don't know.)

Is it possible that the it was button, but then someone started saying
bouton and now the spelling has started to change to match the pronunciation?

Okay... enough of a break for me, back to grading...
- Marc

G. Marc Turner, MEd
Lecturer & Head of Computer Operations
Department of Psychology